What is a PhD?
A course that is part of the LMD (Licence Master Doctorat) system, i.e. :
- A national degree at Bac +8 level, awarded by universities or other higher education establishments accredited by the State
- The highest university degree in the world, giving the grade of PhD.
- An internationally recognised degree (PhD)
But it is also a 3-year-professional research experience, usually paid.
During a PhD, you carry out a research project that contributes to the production of new scientific knowledge.
- This experience takes the form of :
– A variety of activities throughout the 3 years of the project
– The writing of a thesis manuscript at the end of the doctorate, and an oral defence, both of which are assessed by a jury appointed to validate the degree.
-A PhD graduate is known as a PhD.
A PhD student is therefore both a student and a young professional, learning about research through an original supervised research project.